He began a seven-year partnership with Manifattura Ceramica Richard Ginori, where he creatively directed the influential company’s entire line of products.
Giovanni ‘Gio’ Ponti (1891-1979) is today regarded as one of twentieth century’s foremost tastemakers, working as an architect, industrial designer, artist, publisher and furniture designer.
Following military service, Ponti enrolled at the Politecnico di Milano University, graduating in 1921 with a degree in architecture. Between 1923 and 1933, Ponti collaborated with Emilio Lancia (Mino Fiocchi left a previous partnership in 1927), drafting buildings inspired by the neo-classical Novecento Italiano movement, such as the 1926 finished Bouilhet villa in Garches in Paris. Around 1933, Ponti established Studio Ponti-Fornaroli-Soncini with two engineers. Until 1945, the trio finished several high-profile commissions, including the corporate offices of automobile giant Fiat and the School of Mathematics for La Sapienza, the University of Rome. Ponti’s dynamic style perfectly encapsulated the mood in post-War Italy too, and in 1950 the creative was commissioned to design 32 floor high Pirelli tower, working with Pier Luigi Nervi and Arturo Danusso.
In addition to buildings, Ponti’s legacy includes industrial design. He initially presented work at the 1923 Ponti Biennial Exhibition of the Decorative Arts in Monza. The same year, he began a seven-year partnership with Manifattura Ceramica Richard Ginori, where he creatively directed the influential company’s entire line of products. Ponti’s addition designs range widely and include ‘Domus Nova’, a line furnishings for the Rinascente department stores and lighting produced by Artemide, Fontana Arte, and Venini among others.
Designed for Casa
Ferruccio Asta, Milan
Together with a certificate
of authenticity from the
Gio Ponti Archives.
Stained walnut, fabric.
H 83 x W 237 x D 87 cm
H 32 x W 93 x D 34 in.